14 October 2014

Happy birthday, shoulder problems, lipoma removal and horse training

Various things have happened since my last update about Flash.

First of all, Flash celebrated his 10th birthday on 30th August! Wow, I can't believe that my crazy boy has reached that amazing mile stone! He got a lovely birthday chew on the day.


He has settled in incredibly well and is really enjoying the country life. There is also a couple of areas where I can let him off lead now and he is very responsive!

However, he has had a problem with his shoulder. A few times he yelped when he hurt himself. At first I didn't think anything of it as that's the sort of thing that happens if you place your foot wrong by accident and you hurt yourself. But when it happened about the third time within a few days, I grew concerned and got him checked out. The vet couldn't find anything major other than some pain response in his shoulder.

I then took Flash to a hydrotherapy center (www.meadow-farm.com) where the first thing to be done was a thorough assessment and treatment with physio therapist Flora. She also found that there was a problem in the shoulder area, but not sure what exactly.

So when a couple of weeks later, Flash needed to have a lipoma removed that grew very close to his hock joint, I requested to also have x-rays done.

The x-rays came back clear other than some very minor wear and tear that wouldn't have any impact. So we now know that it is a soft tissue issue of some sort. Looking at chiro reports as far back as 2010, Susan even then reported a tight shoulder, so this is a longer standing issue.

Oh, and he also had titre tests before the physio and they all came back as fine. Parvo and hepatitis showed very high levels of antibodies and distemper was just borderline.



This is is when Flash came home from the vets. Unfortunately once the bandage was off, he had to wear a buster collar as he wouldn't leave the stitches alone otherwise. But last weekend I took the stitches out, so he is now back to normal.



Anyway, as Flash has not had any further incidents with his shoulder since the physio treatment, I have decided against further investigations with CT/MRI as I don't think it will help any further. So Flash will go back for physio and hydrotherapy soon - as soon as I have sorted out Dylan's oncologist appointments.

I am very glad that Flash is fine and the shoulder is not a major issue and hopefully can be strengthened up with physio and hydrotherapy so this doesn't happen again.

Here's a couple of recent pictures of Flash



 
 Flash spying on the left here.



The whole gang!

No comments: