Last night, Patricia did not come to training, so it was just Jesse, Flash and me. Because of that, I decided to walk home along Portland Road and not through the green.
As we were walking along Portland Road, suddenly a staffie appeared out of a driveway and went straight for Jesse. I tried to get the dog off, but couldn't gain control because I had to hold on to the two leads to prevent Flash and Jesse from running out into the busy road. I tried everything to get Jesse away from the dog and Flash tried to get away too. Flash eventually slipped the harness and ran out into the road, but because Jesse was still being attacked and trying to get away too, I couldn't go after him and just called him. By then, the dog went after him and chased him around in the road... Cars had to break and stop to avoid an accident.
I eventually managed to pick up Jesse when I couldn't get hold of the other dog. Flash tried to come back to me a couple of times, but every time the dog chased him back into the road. I was terrified that Flash might get hit or would bolt... luckily he didn't and kept coming back onto the pavement.
After what seemed an eternity of chaos and me trying to get control of the situation without success, a door opened and some people came out and called the dog. By then Flash was back on the drive way, the dog came after him again and Flash finally turned around and growled at him, with that the dog went straight indoors.
They told me that their fence had a gap that was to be mended the next day... I told them that their dog went for mine and that they both ended up on the road with cars having to stop because of it. She appologised and asked whether my dogs were allright, which they were - at least physically. Perhaps Jesse's long coat saved him, I don't know.
I was shaking and crying on the way home, it was terrifying! I am still really tense inside because of it becaue of what could have happend. Flash could so easily have got hurt on that road or worse, killed; and I am so glad that he was confident enough to stay near me and not bolt! He was however worried on the way home too and walked with his tail tucked under.
This morning, they both seemed fine on their walk with other dogs, but time will tell. It really isn't what I needed with Jesse, that already has a problem with some dogs when he is on lead!
No comments:
Post a Comment