After not having had any allergic reactions for about 8 weeks, I had to give Flash antihistamines twice over the week-end after a country park walk. He had the itchy feet symptoms... Not sure why, though I think it might be the fact that it was raining a little recently...
Flash had been absolutely brilliant over the last week... On Wednesday, 2nd May, we got a phone call that Cornel's brother Wayne died unexpectedly. This meant that the atmoshphere was different in the house and we went out at odd times for longer periods of time (up to six hours). I expected Flash to be really unsettled, but he was absolutely brilliant. No messing indoors, seemed really settled, no problems. His obedience on walks was spot on, no problem at all!
He had started doing his mad runs at the end of the walks again though in the last few days, though he was responsive and came straight back when he was done at the end of the walk. However, yesterday, he didn't and it took a few calls from me to get him back. And maybe it was no coincidence that I also ended up telling him off early in the same walk yesterday... I walked through the first field with Dylan and Flash. I let Dylan off to do his business further into the field, then called Dylan back. Dylan came back at 100 mph, beautiful recall... Only Flash went mad at the end of the lead as Dylan approached and started lunging and snapping at him... It was then that I grabed him by the harness and shouted at him to stop it! This nipping is not just a nuissance as it makes Dylan hesitate to come back to me, but it is also dangerous as this is how Dylan gets injured as Flash doesn't seem to inhibit his bite very well in these frenzied situations... (it happened once before).
It seems that the itchy paws after walks, the mad runs where he becomes unresponsive and his poor self-control when Dylan runs seem to all be part of the same problem...
I will be watching him very closely. He was fine with Dylan after the incident and didn't nip him anymore. I hope he comes out of this phase quickly again!
No comments:
Post a Comment